Saturday, June 11, 2005

First Thoughts

Well, thanks to Blogger.com for giving me a new way to share my thoughts and knowledge easily with others. I chose the dark background because white background web pages bother me. Perhaps I'll figure out a way to get a pastel background for the long run. Today, it's all about the words.

So, why read further? I think I can say without much fear of contradiction that I have a particular knack for getting personal computers to behave over the past 25 years I've worked with them and 13 years I've been paid for doing so. I don't know many people who wouldn't benefit from some regular advice on how to get more out of your PC experience. I've taught over 1,000 people to use PC's, or use them more effectively. More to the point, I come across all sorts of interesting tips and tidbits of information on the web that I find interesting or worthwhile. I'd like to share some of that knowledge with others because KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. A web log seems like a pertty painless way of doing so.

I'm not new to writing. For three years I maintained a website I updated daily that was read by about three hundred regular readers. I added lots of photos too, thanks to the advent of digital photography. For six years before that I maintained a personal website with a lot of great stuff for consumers, techies, and MCSE candidates (NT 4.0).

More recently I bought a domain and expressed my political opinion in 2004. As usual, my guy never had a chance. I'm pretty fed up with both major parties and Washington in general, so I"m going to avoid that topic for awhile. It make me so crazy and elevates my blood pressure. It is all I can do to watch Lou Dobbs on CNN at 6 without blowing a fuse over the nonsense going on all around us. One last word on this...how can we be safe with wide open borders?

There is a wealth of valuable consumer information out there and I'm confident we would all be better off if we followed some of the advice and knew how things work, including our own bodies. Nutrition and health are an increasing concern for me as I get older and medical care continues to get worse and more expensive. Just as waxing your car periodically for a few dollars can save hundreds on a new paint job, eating more fruits and veggies, taking the proper vitamins and simple exercises can save your a fortune or more in risky hospital procedures.

For example, most people know that everyone needs supplemental calcium, but most people don't take the magnesium needed to metabolize that calcium. I'm not sure why they don't put both together in calcium supplements, but it may have to do with shelf life or the extra cost.

There is actually a great website devoted to how things work. That's exactly what my mother needs. Like many women I know, she doesn't have a clue how anything works. That's not to say men are any better off. I can't do much under the hood of my car anymore either, though I will surely thrill some folks one day when I share what I've learned about auto air conditioning. Auto A/C repair is one of the biggest scams going. I'll give you some basic information you can use to defend yourself from con men in overalls (your nearest auto repair center) and maybe even resolve the problem yourself.

Of course, I'll also talk a lot about new developments in computers and digital technology. We have only begun to see the changes technology will bring. As the world becomes even more digital, connected, and even more computing power becomes even cheaper, or lives will be impacted even further. Hopefully, more to our benefit. WiMAX wide area wireless may bring some competition to the telco/cable fiber cable rollout monopoly that has been going on for decades. Imagine having three or four new wireless choices for broadband access or even phone and TV service! Right now, you are limited to your phone company and single cable provider.

HDTV is coming, slowly. By now, you may be annoyed by the format change that makes the DVD movies you rent and some TV shows smaller because they are designed for the 16 x 9 widescreen ratio instead of your nearly square old TV. It will be more than a year before DirectTV gets it's new satellites in orbit to offer truly digital HDTV. Until then, remember, digital and HD are not the same.

I look forward to posting more information soon and hopefully I will develop some readership to make my effort worthwhile. Until then, I'll close with the words of Ronald Reagan. "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home